Though the European Traders came to Bengal for the purpose of trade and commerce, they came into our state power later. Among them, the British East India Company went a step ahead in the competition. At that time, they ascended the throne of Bengal by defeating the Nawab of Bengal-Bihar-Orissa, Siraj Ud-Doula in 1757. The rule of the English continues in Bengal till 1947. Thus, the system of government that came into power in 1757 in Bengal is called colonial rule. The rule of the English from 1757 to 1947 is known as the colonial age.
By the end of this chapter, we will be able to
- Explain what colony is,
- Realize the importance of expansion and termination of the colony,
- Describe the arrival of the European colonizers to Bengal and expansion of trade,
- Explain the causes of the establishment of English rule in Bengal,
- Explain and evaluate the activities of English rule,
- Explain the characteristics of the East India Company,
- Describe the socio-economic condition of Bengal during the reign of East India Company,
- Realize the influence of English rule,
- Explain the characteristics of British rule,
- Explain the idea of upsurge in Bengal,
- Explain how Pakistan came into being after the end of the Anti-British Movement,
- Evaluate the impact of British rule, Realize the importance of upsurge in Bengal,
- Describe The Independence of Bengal and thus to become patriotic.